Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Horror You Face Today Will Become The Funny Story You Tell Tomorrow. In The End, Everything Is Overcome And A Life Is Lived.

People are just as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don’t find myself saying, “Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner.” I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds.
___________

I really want to let people be who they are. I don't want to interfere. It's quite the miracle to discover yourself. I consider it a privilege to be able to witness the exploration.

I want to watch your excitement and optimism that anything is possible, that dreams can come true and that you can be anything you want to be when you grow up. No matter how unrealistic it may be. The realization that your success and happiness is defined by how many nights you go to sleep beaming from what you experienced that day and how many mornings you wake thrilled about the next 24 hours you have ahead of you. Your world is filled with people who fulfill you and moments that feed your soul. I want to watch you uninhibited and unscathed from discouragement. I want to see your pride in that moment that you know you've made it.

I want to watch the sudden amnesia from past wounds as you blissfully jump head first into another heart, completely ignoring that it could very well end up broken and in pieces like last time. Even if it does, it's all worth it in the end isn't it? The pain? The joy? Once it's over you can acknowledge how those puzzle pieces fit into your life and why they make up the picture. Maybe your heart beats a little differently than it did before but those are your battle wounds -- you faced your match head on, and the result isn't defined by whether you won or lost. You won by just being there.

I want to watch you make mistakes. I want to watch you struggle and hurt and ache. So that one day you know exactly why you had to go through that. That moment of revelation when you say "It all makes sense now!!!" Under your life resume you've got that experience down pat. You are overqualified for this. You got this! Heartbreak, grief, anxiety: been there, done that! Proved you're strong enough to pick yourself up and recover. Torn, then gutted. Twice. And managed to survive both times. Life is beautiful.

The heart is a muscle like any other and the best exercise you can do for it is called picking yourself up off the floor.

The best relationships and conversations I have are the ones where you can turn yourself inside out and pour all of your contents out on the floor. I want to see all your pieces. I love to hear your stories of how you transformed, and what might have hurt you along the way. Most importantly what you learned and why you're better for it and how it's all worth it. Every single person and experience that comes into your life is because you picked them.

I asked Keghan the other day what he wants to be when he grows up. He hardly took a moment to think about it before responding "I want to be Keghan when I grow up." He said it so matter-of-factly too. Thank God for you I thought.

I had this moment yesterday where I thought "I really like the person I am, and am becoming". I hope you all take a moment to feel that today too,

Marley
Song of the day: Everything Will Be Alright - Joshua Radin

No comments:

Post a Comment