Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I wrote on the door of my heart, 'Please do not enter.' Love came smiling and said: 'Sorry I am an illiterate'. -Michael Paul

My heart is beating against my chest like someone banging on the door to let themselves in. I've dusted off the welcome mat at the entrance and put on a fresh pot of tea. By all means, stay a while. Make yourself at home. Mi corazón es su corazón.

Sometimes people feel more like home than the structure of the insulated walls that surround you. They are the people that make you laugh when you're not looking. They make you feel safe when you're trying to stand your ground. Your guard is down. Your fists are unclenched. Your suit of armor crumbles. You are completely and effortlessly free to be you. They don't even need to break down the barriers you've built up, because they found the secret entrance.

I've been measuring my life in heartbeats.
So when I have days that I think I am unlovable,
My heart keeps knocking at my ribs to remind me: 
Knock knock,
Who’s there?
You are. Don’t you forget


And lately, my heart has been racing.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what has been going through my mind these past few weeks..

    ReplyDelete