Friday, January 29, 2010

If You Really Want To Hear About It...

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though"

Aw man, JD Salinger died. I was so sad when I found out. I remember reading Catcher in the Rye in grade 11. I loved how Holden was so creative in the way he spoke about his issues. I wonder how much of Holden's character portrayed JD Salinger's personality. I often think about what goes on in a writer's mind to make them think the way they do. What happened in your life to make you think that way? Who broke your heart or let you down so bad that your thought process allows you to express your feelings so deeply? What happened to JD Salinger that made him isolate himself and hide from the world for over three decades??

 I save the texts and emails I get from friends if they really hit a soft spot in me. One I got recently:
"I love to read your work, it's like a window into your soul. You're messed up."
While I wasn't sure if I should be offended or flattered, I realized that all of my favorite writers were messed up in some way, and this brought them the creativity that they were able to express in all of their stories, poem, and novels. So thanks? I think "messed up" may not be the right words... but I'd rather be messed up than be merely satisfied. I'd rather have substantial thoughts to express than none at all.

On a completely unrelated note, here's an entertaining video Miley Cyrus made of her friends dancing to "4 Minutes" ...how did she manage to convince Channing Tatum to make an appearance?


Today's Entertainment News
The Grammy's are this weekend. The big question: WHAT WILL LADY GAGA WEAR?!
  • Elton John and Lady Gaga are rumored to be performing together at the Grammy's
  • Fellow Canadian DRAKE to perform alongside Eminem and Lil Wayne at the Grammy
  • Hockey Musical "Score" to be filmed starring Olivia Newton John 
  • Today is National Lady Gaga Day!

4 comments:

  1. I think Travis Barker is performing with Drake and co. for the performance as well. Big ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You even find out more about yourself when you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. I've learned that I drink a lot of red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that is why you can't remember the things you said the night before. There is a group for this... ;)

    ReplyDelete