Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hollywood: The Cage To Catch Our Dreams

Every country gets the circus it deserves. Spain gets bullfights. Italy gets the Catholic Church. America gets Hollywood.

Just want to say... I totally called this yesterday: ET Online: Selena Gomez Receieves Threats Following Cuddle Pics with Justin Bieber
http://www.etonline.com/music/106124_Selena_Gomez_Receives_Threats_Following_Cuddle_Pics_with_Justin_Bieber/index.html

I read today that Ryan Gosling from The Notebook said that the movie has resulted in breakups, after causing hopeless romantics to have unreasonably high standards.

"People would come up to me and tell me that they thought it was romantic, but one guy told me that he was engaged and (his fiancee) broke up with him after that movie because she said to him, 'You wouldn't build a house for me, would you?' He was like, 'Well, no, but I don't know how.' She said, 'But if you knew how?' He said, 'No, I wouldn't. But it doesn't mean I don't love you.' She said, 'Yeah, it does.' And she called it off."

Surely, there had to be other problems in the relationship leading her to come to that conclusion, but it made me think of other movies that may set our standards too high. We already use movies and television and pop culture media as a way to step in someone else's shoes and feel their emotions, tying them in to our own lives. Then we look at our own lives in comparison and forget that their fictional lives were influenced by a multimillion dollar blockbuster budget as well as experienced writers, stuntmen, and publicists.

No comments:

Post a Comment