Thursday, September 23, 2010

Everything Happens For a Reason, and Often, It's A Good One

The first step to healing is to give in, not to be confused with giving up. Giving in involves accepting things as is and letting go of the resistance that brings pain, tension, anxiety, and fear. The difference between giving in and giving up is that "giving in" entails hope, faith, and confidence. No matter how horrible things may seem, they will in fact get better.

It happens to me every day. Maybe my alarm clock doesn't go off. I accidentally set it to PM instead of AM. I'm running late for school. There's no hot water in the shower. I forget my blackberry at home. I forgot to pack a lunch, or snacks-- and god forbid I forget my snacks!! Life doesn't go according to plan.

When things in life don't go according to "our plans," we begin to question where we went wrong and what we can do to change it. We have this constant need to be in control of our current circumstances. When life happens according to its own plan, it's a smack in the face. A reminder that we are not in control and are very much alive. What's "out there" isn't trying to ruin our lives. It's trying to save them.

If we learn to give into the lows as well as the highs, we'll begin to realize that everything happens for a reason, and often it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment