Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Angels Have No Philosophy But Love

What is being awake if not interpreting our dreams, or dreaming if not interpreting our wake?

Do you ever have those dreams that feel so real that it takes you a while realize it once you've woken up?

It happens. Sometimes I'll wake up from a nightmare and be scared that there's an intruder in my house. Sometimes if the radio or tv is on while I'm sleeping, what I hear will get mixed in with my dreams, and I'll wake up confused about reality.

This morning my boyfriend woke me up while searching for a spider. It took me a while to convince him that he was dreaming and there really wasn't a tarantula-sized spider in the room. It's a pretty amusing thing, but at the same time a very sweet thing, to calm down a grown man who is worked up from a bad dream.

It might seem obvious that we know our dreams from our waking life. If someone asks you how you can be sure, really sure, that you do not every morning fall asleep from the reality of flying through clouds and speaking with animals and cascading through time, to the dream life of going to school and doing the dishes and always seeing the same people again and again, you don't really have to argue with them. Or so it might seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment