Monday, May 17, 2010

Five Love Languages

Update on my wrist: It is still broken.
I wrote a 2-hour exam left-handed today, and let me tell you... writing my name three times on three different papers was the hardest part. I can't open granola bar packages, so in the morning I use scissors to open the package and then put it into a ziplock bag. I was brushing my teeth at school after I had gotten sick (my painkillers make me nauseas) and a girl bumped into me. Someone with a normally functioning hand would have no problem with this, but my toothbrush fell on the floor. I have a cold from the stress I let myself go through last week and I need someone to open my cough syrup every 6-8 hours. I dropped my uncapped toothpaste in the garbage and decided to leave it there. I made chicken noodle soup to eat, but by the time my unsteady left hand reaches my mouth there's not much left on the spoon.
I'm glad there's a shoppers across the street from me. I've been there just about every day since I broke my wrist to replace things or buy things to make my life easier.

I'm not whining or complaining. I've laughed through the majority of this process.
Maybe by the time my cast is taken off my left hand and I will get along much better.

I read this book called "The 5 Love Languages"... actually, I read the whole series. Its this theory that there are 5 different ways of showing love, and they are:
1. Words of Affirmation
2. Affection
3. Gifts
4. Quality Time
5. Acts of Service

Of those five, you have one language that you use primarily to show your love, and one that is how you prefer to receive love. Of course it's nice to have a good balance of the five, but this theory helped to change the way I treat others. As I get closer to them, whether they are friends, parents, or a significant other, you learn the way that gets to them the best.

I swear to you, if you make the effort to speak the right language, it brings your relationships so much closer.

1 comment:

  1. You should drink your soup through one of those extra big chiller straws.. yummy.

    ReplyDelete