Saturday, May 8, 2010

Love Is So Short, Forgetting Is So Long

Poetry doesn't belong to those who write it; it belongs to those who need it.

Putting the things you want to say into rhymes makes messages much more romantic, intelligent, and interesting. (This is why I am so fascinated by my blog-commenting-poet, xo)

I spent an hour in Hallmark and Carlton Cards this morning and came out with nothing. My expectations for greeting cards and love letters are much higher after all the reading I've been doing lately. Pablo Neruda, you've ruined me.

I have another problem that his keeping me up at night, and his name is Pablo Neruda. However, it isn't so much a problem more than an intense passion and admiration. This man was on another wavelength. He was so in tune with love and nature and the world, no one compares to him. There is a Neruda for every season.

I am inspired.
I highly recommend watching the movie Il Postino.
There is an undescribable beauty to it. I appreciate:
1) the beauty of the ocean
2) the lovely music
3) the Italian language
4) the poetry of Pablo Neruda
5) the time that the Nobel Peace Prize poet spends with a poor mail deliverer who comes up hills on his bicycle, explaining to him what is a metaphor
6) the beautiful and sincere friendship between the two men
7) the love that Neruda has for his woman, and
8) how Mario wants to impress the woman of his dreams with nothing else, but the poetry written by Neruda.

The lead actor in this movie, Massimo Troisi postponed heart surgery so he could complete the film. The day after filming was complete, he suffered a fatal heart attack

I always wonder what has happened to the writers to inspire them to write the way they do. Neruda was not from this world.

This is my favorite poem by Pablo Neruda. I was introduced to it in my grade 12 spanish class when we were assigned to translate it from spanish to english. It touched me so deeply that I never forgot it.
Tonight I Can Write

1 comment:

  1. Life’s diversions create the soul
    And cause the eyes to see
    But silent times when no one screams
    Enlightens the soul of me

    ReplyDelete